Thursday, October 28, 2010

Boo!

I live in a town where the population has not changed much in the last 100 years. The last census has us around 2000 people. This town of Nowhereburg was a small trading port on the Sangamon River in the 1800's which prompted the building of numerous victorian era larger homes. In the middle of the 1900's when everyone was tearing down these beauties, residents of Nowhereburg basically didn't have the money to do so because the port had ceased operations. Sure some of the homes are gone because of neglect but many still survive.

Several homes in the area are reported to be haunted, not mine thankfully. There's one that seems to change owners constantly and another where someone was murdered followed by two suicides in later generations.

My house is 143 years old. I never go into the basement at night and when I stumble to the loo in the middle of the night I never look directly into the large mirrors that hang in the hallway. Surely someone has died in the house and while I DON'T believe in ghosts, there is no use in searching one out.

The oddest thing I can say about my house is that the downstairs bathroom sometimes has the distinct scent of roses. That may sound pleasant but the odd part is that I don't use soap or cleaning products that smell of flowers. And I don't have fresh flowers in that bathroom. Odd.

Then there's my friend's house up on the hill that used to be a funeral home. It's quite a pile of bricks and she insists that she's heard ghosts. Not sightings but sounds of someone climbing the creaky stairs and also what she describes as the sounds of large skirts rustling. I've slept there a few times and the house is mighty creepy. Once while I was house-sitting I took a walk through her basement. Never again. Also it was about that time that I dreamed I saw ghosts in her house. Did I mention that I don't believe in ghosts?

This weekend we will be celebrating Halloween. Here we have trick-or-treating for two nights. Residents like to have one night for handing out candy and another night to take out the kids. So today I need to pop put for candy.

Enjoy Halloween! I hope you make it out alive!

4 comments:

The Mistress said...

These are my kind of houses.

Do you need a roommate?

Your town is bigger than the town I grew up in, by the way.

Princess said...

These photos are lovely. There are are some lovely old homes around the area that I live in too made from local sand stone.
The Palais is an old miners cottage cira 184o's.

hayward said...

The more the merrier MJ. I'm ordering more gin now.

Princess, given the Palais' age and your green thumb it must be lovely. Please post more photos of your garden when you can.

ayeM8y said...

I have a 1908 Victorian Cottage. The woman who sold it lived here for over fifty years. She moved in with the in-laws when she married and never left. I’m certain somebody died here too but no ghosts. It does however, have this overwhelming sense of energy. The house doesn’t like change. It resists with malaise and confusion while undertaking projects. Also the house doesn’t want you to leave it. It’s uses a hypnotic trance.

It gets creepy.

So I sage the joint rather often.