I've been cleaning out closets lately. This week I was digging through old boxes of mementos and thought I would share a letter. This was written by John's Uncle Jack to his mother, Ruth, in 1945 while deployed in Germany.
_____________________________________________________________

2 July 1945
Hello Darling,
Well guess who it is writin' to you - the only fella (I should say eligible bachelor) still privileged to address your letters "Hello Darling."
It's been a long time since I've written I know, but Ruth I've been having a busy time since I last saw you & the folks - had a lot of fun at times & wouldn't trade my experiences for the world.
I'm sitting here like the stupid character that I am - trying to figure out a unique manner in which to say "so ya done it" - Baby I could hardly believe my eyes when I got the announcement - I'm sure happy for you Ruth - I don't know John, but I know that if (why if?) you married him he must be an ok guy - As you said in your letter, being at each other's wedding was something we had planned since childhood, but you're entirely forgiven - I've learned one thing over here - do things while you can because you may not get another chance - oh whatcha know? Even my conservative "southside" opinion sanctions your actions for just between you & me, there was almost a wedding in the family last October - I just couldn't though - things were too uncertain - now I think we can look forward to an "end" in this war & begin to plan & reconstruct our lives for a post war future - I hope sincerely that the war is over for Johnny - Johnny I calls 'em - so that you two can also be planning - do I sound like your mother? - hmmmmm? All kidding aside, I do lots of thinking about the future - and I think that it worries me more than the present. You know your wedding did big things for me. My gal started embroidering and buying silverware & a few other things which your cherubic bridal face inspired - or was it the music?
When you get to St. Louis again I wish you'd buzz by & see her & tell her I love her - and for goodness sakes take her picture & send it to me - she sends portraits - fine! But I'm always after her to send some snapshots & she never does - To remind you I'll send you one of me - (What a thrill!!) - Taken in front of Hermann Goering's home & sitting in one of Hermann's chairs - incidentally "Dot" is my jeep driver's wife's name.

I've met several boys from school over here (none that you know) & have been playin' hide & seek with Roy all over the continent - still have hopes of seeing him before it's too late. I sure hope this is possible.
Hell, I don't know Ruth, it sure looks like straight to the CBI for me - sure wanted to get home for a little while at least - don't know - sweatin' it out.
Well hon, it's getting late & I'll have to sign off - I wish you two the very best of all things good - & for God's sake, John, don't let her eat sweets - Touche!!?
See you when the war's over,
Jack
P.S. Almost forgot, Ralph is in Corpus - could you show him the picture?
Please write soon.
_____________________________________________________________
It's a sweet letter. John's mother died when he was a young boy so naturally he cherishes everything with a connection to her.
5 comments:
Wow!
What a slice of Americana!
Funny to read how they all spoke back then. "Darling, baby, gal."
I still have a letter from my grandfather that he wrote to my grandmother when he was in the army during WWII.
Very, very neat!
Thanks for sharing this with us, hayward!
-Dean
P.S.: Your opening description was a bit confusing.
To clear things up, this is a letter from Jack writing to Ruth, his sister (who is John's mother), right?
What a keepsake. Beautiful sentiment and the writing back then was so personal and well constructed.
Thanks for sharing. I got chills.
You're right Dean. Jack wrote the letter to his sister Ruth. Ruth had married John and they were later the parents of my partner John III. I didn't explain that very well.
Jack was 22 when he wrote this and the war ended not long afterwards. He and Ruth were VERY close as you can tell. Such wisdom from such a young man, "do things while you can because you may not get another chance." No doubt he saw a lot of people lose that chance.
very sweet...very poignant.
yes, just great.
figured the war had to be getting along since goering's house had become a tourist destination. wow.
i have a mother's day telegram my uncle sent my mother from korea. actually, i should post it, it's sweet.
Post a Comment