Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hug a Tree

Over last weekend I had the pleasure of touring an arboretum located a few miles from here on 48 acres. The grounds are only open for pre-arranged guided tours so there's no just dropping in for a visit. The primary scientific feature is their oak collection which is the most comprehensive in the Midwest United States.

Turns out that the owner of the arboretum knows a friend of mine from Baton Rouge because of a particularly old oak tree on this friend's property.

The tree is magnificent!

3 comments:

Princess said...

Isn't it just a small world... And what a lovely specimen you have depicted. Grand old trees like that leave me with a sense of profuond wisdom.
thank you Hayward.

jason said...

Gorgeous.
That tree looks like he'd hug you.

the cajun said...

Makes me think of the "dueling oaks" in City Park in NOLA. I often wonder if they survived the floods, but I really don't want to know. (sigh)